Internship Opportunity with Ag United
Interested in helping South Dakota’s farm and ranch families tell their story to communities, neighbors and consumers? Consider applying for an internship with Ag United for South Dakota! The internship helps build skills in communications, event planning, social media and provides the opportunity to work with families from across the state. Want to learn more? Read the blog post from our 2018 intern Katie Schoenfelder. Applications for the summer 2022 position will be due January 14,2022.
POSITION TITLE: Intern, Summer full-time position located in Sioux Falls, SD (Position is also shared with Midwest Dairy.)
POSITION DATES: May – September 5, 2022
*Weekend of South Dakota State Fair is a required activity. Other start and end dates depend on applicant’s school schedule.
Application Deadline: January 14, 2022
Please include cover letter, resume, and at least two references. Email or mail the information to:
Ag United for South Dakota
PO Box 507
Sioux Falls, SD 57101
Intern will work out of and be supervised by the Ag United for South Dakota office in Sioux Falls, SD.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Agriculture United for South Dakota is a coalition of farm organizations formed in 2005 with a goal of keeping family farms and ranches growing. Coalition members of Ag United includes: the South Dakota Cattleman's Association, the South Dakota Corn Growers Association, South Dakota Farm Bureau, South Dakota Pork Producers Council, the South Dakota Soybean Association, the South Dakota Dairy Producers and the South Dakota Poultry Industries Association.
Ag United works toward promoting and advancing farm and ranch families and rural communities with four guiding principles:
- Developing communications on the connection between farm life and South Dakota's economic and social well-being.
- Engaging those who do not tell the truth about agriculture and food production.
- Educating consumers about the importance of food production.
- Providing assistance to South Dakota farmers and ranchers.
Assist with planning and carrying out events. This is a snapshot of some of the activities that will be completed over the summer.
- Farms After Five farm tours – Designed to take South Dakota consumers to the farm, this position helps in organizing details for these events including the farms, ag professionals on the bus, participants, meal, promotion and materials for the day.
- Open Houses – Several open houses are hosted through-out the summer to early fall. Open houses are an opportunity for the public to visit South Dakota dairy, hog and beef farms. Intern will assist with promoting the event, obtain sponsors and ordering supplies for this event.
- Sioux Empire Fair, State Fair – Work the dairy booth at both events and promote dairy to consumers at Sioux Empire Fair.
- Golf Tournaments – Help with set up, registration, and working various golf activities for Ag United coalition members.
- This position will require blog posts on a timely agriculture related issues.
- Develop marketing and promotional materials for various Ag United events and programs.
- Communicate with the general public and answer questions about today’s agriculture
- Manage social media accounts and online activities. This includes but is not limited to:
- Ag United’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest and YouTube accounts.
- Ag United’s website.
- Ag United’s email list
- Answer various email and phone inquires.
- Perform daily office management duties such as ordering office supplies, making copies, picking up mail, and answering the phone.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE
- Reports to work and completes tasks in a timely manner
- Adheres to all policies and procedures
- Acts as a role model within and outside the organization
- Performs duties as workload necessitates
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Maintains a demeanor that creates positive team atmosphere
- Communicates regularly with supervisor
- Travels as directed for various meetings and events.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Enrolled in a bachelors degree program.
- Agricultural industry career experience or an ag background preferred.
- Must have excellent communications skills with the ability to work with the public.
- Excellent organizational skills, time management, customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task several projects and activities at one time.
- Strong work ethic and able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to work with computer systems including Microsoft Office and design programs.
- Available to work weekends and evenings to implement programs and events.
- Have reliable transportation to and from work.
- General design, picture and video editing skills is helpful.
Working conditions include farm settings and a normal office environment, travel within the state. Some lifting is required. Must have valid drivers license. Proof of car insurance is required to drive company vehicle. Some weekends and evenings will be required.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not a comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The Executive Director reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary. Employee may be asked to perform other duties as assigned.