Clint Brandlee May Video 6
Clint's May Adopt-A-Farmer Video 6
Optional Dairy Calf Video 7
Clint Brandlee Adopt-A-Farmer Video 6 Questions:
- Core content standard questions:
- Story: Farmer Clint is preparing his field for planting. He applies a solution of 12 gallons of water + 20 ounces of Roundup chemical per acre on the field.
- Provided: 1 gallon = 128 ounces
- Conversion (gallons to ounces) 4.OA.2
Multiply or divide to solve word problems involving multiplicative comparison, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem), and distinguish multiplicative comparison from additive comparison.
- Question: How many ounces are equal to 12 gallons?
- Work: 128 (ounces per gallon) x 12 (gallons) = 1,536 (ounces in 12 gallons)
- Answer:There are 1536 ounces in 12 gallons.
- Fractions (comparing ) 4.NF.2
Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators, by creating common denominators or numerators, or by comparing to a benchmark fraction such as 1/2. Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two fractions refer to the same whole. Record the results of comparisons with symbols <, >, =, and justify the conclusions.
- Question: What is the correct comparison using fractions for the amount of Roundup to water in Farmer Clint’s solution?
- Work: 20 ounces of Roundup + 1,536 ounces of water = 1,556oz in total solution
- Solution: 20/1,556 < 1,536/1,556
- Discussion question:
Clint talked about new technologies on the farm. What were some of the ways that he used technology during planting?
- Teacher resource: