June Dairy Month
TO CELEBRATE JUNE DAIRY MONTH
SIOUX FALLS, SD – Agriculture United for South Dakota is pleased to announce five events to celebrate June Dairy Month and recognize South Dakota’s dairy farm families. At each event, dairy farm families will be opening up their farms for free, family-friendly open houses and tours. The dairies will showcase the diversity of South Dakota’s dairy industry as well as give the public an opportunity to see first-hand where the dairy products they enjoy get their start. Each open house will include a free meal and a tour of the dairy farm.
Open houses and tours will be held at:
- June 4 – Lunch on the Dairy Farm, Linde Dairy, 47988 207th St., White, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.. As part of the annual Dairy Fest activities, the Linde family is hosting tours of their dairy farm and a free grilled cheese lunch for visitors. In addition to the farm tour, don’t miss the carnival, tours of the SDSU Dairy Plant, and many other activities in Brookings. More information at www.facebook.com/sddairyfest.
- June 11 – MoDak Dairy Open House, 46516 171st St., Goodwin, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The Moes family invites you join them for an open house to tour their 2,000 cow dairy, meet the farm family, and enjoy Phil Baker performances at 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Stay for a free grilled cheese sandwich for lunch!
- June 18 - 9th Annual Day on the Farm at Royalwood Dairy, 48170 266th St., Brandon, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Join the Ode family to learn how milk is produced on their 260 cow farm and enjoy a free pancake breakfast. Children's entertainer Phil Baker will perform at 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. The farm is located 3 miles east of Sioux Falls, just off of East 10th Street. Parking will be at Riveria Events, ¼ mile south of the intersection of Hwy 11 and Hwy 42.
- June 28 - Know Your Milk Tour, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. - This family-friendly bus tour departs from Sioux Falls and features a tour of a local dairy farm. Along with the tour, guests will receive a free meal and grocery gift certificates. A limited number of participants will be chosen to attend. To apply, visit agunited.org/2016farmtours.
- July 9 - Boadwine Dairy Open House, 46945 251st St., Baltic, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Tour the dairy farm that milks 2,000 cows, see where cows live and eat, meet newborn calve, enjoy kids' activities and enjoy a free lunch.
Ag United has hosted open houses in honor of June Dairy Month since 2008, giving thousands of South Dakota families the opportunity to meet dairy farm families and learn about this important industry. South Dakota dairy farms produce about 246 million gallons of milk and generate about $427 million in milk sales each year. Visit www.midwestdairy.com to learn more about dairy production and the role of dairy products in a healthy lifestyle.
“Open houses are a great opportunity for families to see firsthand how dairy farmers care for their cows and produce the top quality milk and dairy products we enjoy every day,” said Rebecca Christman, outreach director for Ag United. “We appreciate that farm families are willing to open their farms to the public and invite everyone to attend for a fun and educational day on the farm.”