AAF Adam Mohrhauser - March
- Core Standard & Question: 4.OA.2 Multiply or divide to solve word problems involving multiplicative comparison, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem, distinguishing multiplicative comparison from additive comparison.
- If Adam wants to plant 80 acres of corn, how many seeds will be planted? How many bags of seed will he need to buy?
*29,000 seeds per acre: 29,000x80=2,320,000 seeds
*80,000 seeds per bag: 2,320,000/80,000=29 bags
- Teacher Resource: http://www.sdcorn.org/2014/08/pro-farmer-analyzes-se-sd-corn-crop/
- This site tells how much corn is being produced per acre in Southeastern SD. The numbers are down from last year.
- Discussion: Adam told us that preparing for planting is a yearlong process. He began in October by doing tests on the soil and is now looking into what kind of seed corn to buy. Why do you think he researches and uses different types of seeds? Is there anything your family buys that you research ahead of time?