SOUTH DAKOTA FARM FAMILIES CELEBRATE NATIONAL DAIRY MONTH BY OPENING FARMS TO THE PUBLIC
June open houses feature farm tours, dairy product samples,
free meals and family-friendly activities
SIOUX FALLS, SD - South Dakota dairy farm families are celebrating National Dairy Month in June with family-friendly events and tours all month long.
"Tours and open houses during National Dairy Month give South Dakotans the opportunity to see firsthand where the milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream and other dairy products get their start," said Rebecca Christman, outreach director for Ag United. "We are excited to share the diversity of farms and the dedication these families have to sharing their story and caring for their animals and land."
Agriculture United for South Dakota is pleased to announce the following events to celebrate National Dairy Month and recognize South Dakota's dairy farm families. Each open house will include a free meal and a tour of the dairy farm.
- June 2 - Dairy Fest Carnival and Tours of Old Tree Farms, 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.. As part of the annual DairyFest activities, the Verpallen family is hosting tours of their dairy farm and a free grilled cheese lunch for visitors. Busses will depart starting at 11 a.m. from the Swiftel Center in Brookings every half hour for the farm tour. In addition, don't miss the carnival, tours of the SDSU Dairy Plant, and many other activities in Brookings. More information at www.facebook.com/sddairyfest.
- June 9 - MoDak Dairy Open House, 46516 171stSt., Goodwin, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The Moes family invites you to join them for an open house, ice cream treats and free grilled cheese lunch. Tour their 2,000 cow farm, meet baby calves and learn more about South Dakota dairy farmers care for their animals and land.
- June 16 - 11th Annual Breakfast on the Farm at Royalwood Dairy, 48170 266thSt., Brandon, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Join the Ode family for their annual open house that has become a must-attend event for families in the Brandon and Sioux Falls metro areas. Tour the 380 cow farm and enjoy free pancakes, milk and other dairy treats. Children's entertainer Phil Baker will perform at 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m, and 'Hood Magazine will host a "Make and Take" craft project throughout the morning. Parking will be 1 ¼ miles East of the dairy farm, shuttles will be running. Limited handicap accessible parking is available at the farm.
- June 26 - Know Your Milk Tour, Bus Tour Departing from Sioux Falls, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. This evening tour will provide an opportunity to see WHAT. Tour participants will meet the family, ask questions, and enjoy a free meal with cheese and ice cream samples. Tour is open to both children and adults. Application deadline for this tour is June 15. Space is limited, so visit http://agunited.org/events/know-your-milk-tour/ to register today.
- June 30 - Boadwine Dairy Open House, 46945 251stAve., Baltic, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 pm. Take a tour of this century-old family farm, watch cows being milked and take a trolley ride around the farm. A free lunch will be provided.
- July 14 - Lazy J Dairy Open House, 38223 203rdSt., Wolsey, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Don't miss your opportunity to see where the 1,000 cows eat, sleep and are milked. Meet the Jungeman family and enjoy a free meal, ice cream and more.
Ag United has hosted open houses in honor of National Dairy Month since 2008, giving thousands of South Dakota families the opportunity to meet dairy farm families and learn about this important industry. South Dakota dairy farms produce about 274 million gallons of milk and generate about $436 million in milk sales each year, resulting in a total economic impact of $2.71 billion for dairy products produced and sold in South Dakota. Visit www.midwestdairy.com to learn more about dairy production and the role of dairy products in a healthy lifestyle.
These events are sponsored in part by South Dakota Farm Families and Ag United, Midwest Dairy and South Dakota soybean farmers and their check-off.
Ag United was developed through a collaboration of farm organizations that support livestock production and development and includes the South Dakota Cattlemen's Association, the South Dakota Corn Growers Association, South Dakota Dairy Producers, South Dakota Farm Bureau, South Dakota Pork Producers Council, South Dakota Poultry Industries Association and the South Dakota Soybean Association.