Join in on the celebration!
June is dairy month, and as a farm girl I have a huge appreciation for the work that is being done on dairy farms. Dairy farmers are getting up early every morning to feed and milk their cows. As the weather gets hot, I am reminded that without dairy farmers I wouldn’t be able to have ice cream on these scorching summer days. That’s reason enough for me to celebrate!
Here at South Dakota Farm Famlies we have been celebrating dairy all month with tours of local farms. If you haven’t had the chance to visit a dairy farm yet, we still have two more opportunities! MoDak Dairy Day is happening this weekend just east of Watertown. Free grilled cheese and ice cream will be served!
If you aren’t able to make it up to Watertown, there’s still time to sign up for the know your milk tour. This Family friendly tour will leave from Sioux Falls on June 30th and head to Garretson to visit Cottonwood Ridge dairy.
There are only 255 dairy herds in South Dakota, but they are doing their part to put milk on the table in our state and abroad. In 2014 South Dakota’s dairy cows produced almost 4 Billion glasses of milk! South Dakota dairy farmers are looking forward to sharing with you what they do to put a safe wholesome product on your table.
Join in on the celebration!
Enjoy free grilled cheese, ice cream, and tour this 2,000 cow dairy farm. The family friendly event will include kids coloring, baby calves, and the chance to meet your dairy farm neighbors. The open house will run from 10am - 1pm.
This family friendly tour will help you learn more about the milk you drink! The bus will leave from Sioux Falls and travel to Garretson for a farm tour and dinner at Cottonwood Ridge Dairy.
For a full list of June Dairy Month events in South Dakota and neighboring states, click here. Visit www.dairymakessense.com for mouth-watering dairy recipes and to learn more about dairy farm families across the Midwest.
Can you believe it? June’s halfway over! We have reached 8,000 South Dakotans with the story of dairy! Here’s a quick recap of the events we’ve hosted or participated in so far:
- At the Mickelson Trail Marathon, we passed out chocolate milk to 2,500 runners to refuel!
- DairyFest in Brookings included tours of the SDSU Dairy Plant and Hilltop Dairy, with the total event reaching 500 people.
- Radio station KWAT in Watertown hosted a community meal serving nearly 1,000 people
- Cheeseburger Day in Milbank served more than 3,000 people with proceeds benefitting the Milbank FFA chapter
- The annual Breakfast on the Farm at Royalwood Dairy near Brandon was another huge success with nearly 1,000 individuals enjoying farm tours, a free meal and children’s entertainment.
Listen to this week's radio segment here: FARMERS_DAUGHTER-JUNE_15th.mp3