Farmer's Daughter: June = Dairy Month!
|My favorite dairy treat... SDSU Cookies and Cream ice cream. Photo via sdstate.org|
It’s hard to believe that June is right around the corner. For many people June means baseball games, grilling, and swimming. Here at South Dakota Farm Families June means Dairy Month!
All month long we’ll be celebrating dairy and dairy farmers in South Dakota. This June we will be hosting three open houses and a bus tour featuring local dairy farms.
- June 2 – Cheeseburger Days hosted by Valley Queen Cheese in Milbank. Come and enjoy a cheeseburger, chips and milk at Lake Farley Park between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Click here for details.
- June 4 – Lunch on the Dairy Farm, Linde Dairy, 47988 207th St., White, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.. As part of the annual Brookings DairyFest activities, the Linde family is hosting tours of their dairy farm and a free grilled cheese lunch for visitors. In addition to the farm tour, don’t miss the carnival, tours of the SDSU Dairy Plant, and many other activities in Brookings. More information at www.facebook.com/sddairyfest.
- June 11 – MoDak Dairy Open House, 46516 171st St., Goodwin, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The Moes family invites you join them for an open house to tour their 2,000 cow dairy, meet the farm family, and enjoy Phil Baker performances at 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Stay for a free grilled cheese sandwich for lunch!
- June 18 – 9th Annual Day on the Farm at Royalwood Dairy, 48170 266th St., Brandon, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Join the Ode family to learn how milk is produced on their 260 cow farm and enjoy a free pancake breakfast. Children’s entertainer Phil Baker will perform at 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. The farm is located 3 miles east of Sioux Falls, just off of East 10th Street. Parking will be at Riviera Events at the intersection of Hwy 11 and Hwy 42.
- June 28 – Know Your Milk Tour, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. – This family-friendly bus tour departs from Sioux Falls and features a tour of a local dairy farm. Along with the tour, guests will receive a free meal and grocery gift certificates. A limited number of participants will be chosen to attend. To apply, visit agunited.org/2016farmtours.
- July 9 – Boadwine Dairy Open House, 46945 251st St., Baltic, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Tour the dairy farm that milks 1,700 cows, see where cows live and eat, meet newborn calve, enjoy kids’ activities and enjoy a free lunch.
Ag United has hosted open houses in honor of June Dairy Month since 2008, giving thousands of South Dakota families the opportunity to meet dairy farm families and learn about this important industry. South Dakota dairy farms produce about 246 million gallons of milk and generate about $427 million in milk sales each year. These events are sponsored in part by South Dakota Farm Families and Ag United, Midwest Dairy Association and South Dakota soybean farmers and their check-off.
We hope you’ll join us in celebrating Dairy this June!
Listen to this week's Farmer's Daughter Radio Segment here: FARMERS_DAUGHTER-MAY_30TH.mp3